Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Response To Adam Christopher: Autism Sucks!


My name is Katie Kagan. I live in Ohio. I will hopefully be working at the Cleveland Clinic in Solon as an office assistant verifying insurance and doing other things. Oh, by the way, I have autism.

Dear Adam Christopher,

Be careful what you ask. Questioning the existence of Jewish people shows hatred and bigotry.

That's a good question. WHY do I have autism? If you ask me, I think it's a combination of genetic susceptibility, environmental factors and toxins, and yes even vaccines (the last causation factor does NOT apply to all people with autism).

Yes, you are correct. Autism makes me different (and I don't mean a "quirky eccentric genius"). I'm NOT a genius; but I can be quirky and eccentric which if more often than not to my disadvantage.

You're wrong though that autism and being intelligent are opposites. After all - if I wasn't intelligent, how was I able to attend college from 2009 - May 2013 (no degree earned).

You remember being sick as a baby. Welcome to my world. I spent my entire infancy in the hospital with IV's and antibiotics with flu and other complications. So much for "baby fun time." I definitely missed out on that.
 
Disabilities aren't negative. Disabilities are expected. In this time period, as you age, you become disabled in some way. Abilities are what people have that make them who they are. Autism is NOT an ability. Whether autism causes abilities is a long controversy (not in my opinion) that I will save for a future post.

Listen to that wise staff member. Having autism sure makes you work harder - in the most literal sense. Since autism impairs every aspect of daily life such as movement, anxiety, communication, sensory perception and reactions, social skills and interactions, in many causes or comes with mental health or medical issues, people on the autism spectrum have to work extremely hard to overcome the impairments and challenges caused by autism.
Sometimes, neurologically typical people, or NT for short, don't understand how hard people with autism work to cope, function and fit in.

That's a good question, Adam. Why do we have a disability such as autism! It doesn't look like our federal or state government has any answers. According to many media sources,the rate of autism isn't really increasing; it's just better diagnosis and services! How much better?
1 in 50 people are now "being noticed more" with autism. These are children, adolescents, and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder's (ASD's).

Where are the 1 in 50 elderly with ASD? I don't mean socially awkward senior citizens with few or no friends. I mean older men and women who struggle with communication, social skills, sensory issues, and other deficits that ASD causes.


And one more thing: Autism Sucks!

- Katie K.

No comments:

Post a Comment