Wednesday, October 16, 2013

10 Things Every Adult On The Spectrum Wishes You Knew

1. I have autism (or am autistic). Autism is a medical condition, neuro-biological and developmental disability. My abilities - whether they are strengths related to my autism or not, are not defined by my medical condition

2. My employment opportunities aren't limited to jobs that are "good for people with autism." This doesn't even make any sense. I have my own interests, strengths and challenges. I want to be able to have a job based on these things.

3. Autism is a medical condition and developmental disability, not a disease, and especially NOT like cancer. Autism is NOT directly fatal.

4. I am a person that help you advocate for, but I am an ADULT. I have my own brain. I can think for myself. I know what I want and don't want.

5. I am a logical and literal thinker. Sometimes, that can be an advantage, but I take things literally too. I'm always working on understanding humor and figurative language better. With the rights supports, I will keep improving.

6. Social interactions are difficult for me and can be extremely challenging, overwhelming, and exhausting. Sensory processing issues that can effect my five senses can make highly situations unbearable. I do try to attend social events when I can, but when I am not able or interested to because of the activity, please respect that.

7. I have a movement, anxiety, communication, sensory, social skills and interactions disorder. I also may have serious medical diseases or issues. I do NOT have an intellectual disability. I'm highly intelligent, but I may struggle significantly to communicate that to you like a typical person. 

8. Self-Regulation is a learned skill. I have been working on this skill my entire life. When I react in a way (meltdown, offensive comment, etc.) that is unexpected and inappropriate, please know that I did NOT intend for this. I was simply trying to make the best of the situation.

9. Please be patient with me. I promise you that I am worth it. I have trouble communicating; however, I don't have trouble feeling or thinking. 

10. Believe in me, and show me that you believe in me. I have autism (or am autistic), but I can still be successful. I learn and process things differently, but I can learn.

Crucial Side Note: Remember, autism is a developmental disability, not a static condition. People with developmental disabilities continue to learn things all their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment